Mountain Pointe High School's official news source.

Voice of the Pride

Alex Lewis

Alex Lewis appears on a poster that borders the football field. Alex Lewis was an outstanding player that now plays for the Baltimore Ravens.

Dylen Romero

Dylen Romero

Dylen Romero, Staff Reporter

Football is one of the many great sports at our school.

A student can gain scholarships from colleges by participating in a sport. One of this school’s previous players, Alex Lewis, born on April 21st, 1992 went further, and he now plays for a professional NFL team, the Baltimore Ravens.

Before going pro Lewis was a three year starter at offensive tackle here. Our football team went 10-0 in the regular season and won the regional championships. After when he graduated he went to the Colorado Buffaloes and then moved to the Nebraska Huskers. (http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209396563)

Lewis played for our school in 2009. Jeffrey Griffin, one of the P.E. and football coaches, actually worked with Lewis while he was enrolled.

“I had the opportunity to work with Alex for three years. I have known him since he was just a toddler. I am still very good friends with his family,” said Griffin about the relationship between him and Lewis.

Lewis and the Mountain Pointe football team went 10-0 in the regular season. To accomplish such a goal, teamwork can be a necessity. Friendship can bring a bond among teammates.

“Alex always had a lot of friends. People enjoyed being around him. His mom hosted a lot of team dinners, and his house was a favorite gathering place for the team,” said Griffin.

Coach Griffin went to talk about the kind of guy Lewis was and activities he and his teammates would do.

“As tough as he was on the field, Alex is really a very kind person. He is very close to his family and would do just about anything for you. Our lineman used to volunteer to set up the Christmas Toy Give Away for the Kyrene School District. Alex was always one of the first guys I would ask to help. He was always one of the first to agree to help. The boys always had a good time at this event,” said Griffin.

As well as having a diligent work ethic, most athletes have an attitude, whether it be sportsmanlike or not, both on and off the field.

“When Alex was on the field, he was a bad man and still is. He approached practice and games in a business like manner. Practice or games if there was a competition involved his mindset was that he was going to be the winner. Most of the time he was and still is,” said Griffin.

Players can and sometimes will push themselves to become great and Lewis did just that with his work ethic.

“He had a work ethic like no other. He was always striving to become better at what he did. Didn’t take days off at practice and never took plays off during the games,” said Griffin.  Lewis made it to the NFL level because he cared and worked hard.