Mountain Pointe High School's official news source.

Voice of the Pride

Social Media Sources

Social media such as Facebook and Twitter are increasingly being used as people’s go-to news sites. The Pew Research Center found that 37% of Instagram users rely on the site for news on current events.

Isabella Mudryj

Isabella Mudryj

Isabella Mudryj, Managing Editor

At any given moment, most people can be found with a phone that has direct access to the Internet. This means that anyone can stay updated with current events.

Whether their resources are reliable or not is a different story.

“[I use] Twitter, I see news a lot on my timeline, and I also have Yahoo as my homepage and sometimes I check the news that pops up there,” said Meagan Gibson, a sophomore.

It is not uncommon for teenagers, and even adults, to have social media be their main way of getting both local and international news. The Pew Research Center released a survey to American audiences and concluded that 6 out of 10 American adults get their news from various social media platforms, including but not limited to Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter.

“I think it’s because it’s so quick. There’s that feeling of I need to look and it’s what everyone else is talking about and I want to be a part of that,” said Lane Waddell, an AP Government and World History teacher.

Despite it being quick and easily accessible, having social media being one’s main source of information is harmful and unreliable.

“There’s a lot of times where there are parts of an article that are left out that are important, so it’s not the most reliable,” said Gibson.

Not only are some articles worded in ways that distorts the information or has it be misleading, but some are made up and distributed over large populations.

“Facebook just came out and admitted they created fake news articles and put them in their news feed. People are reading that, they take that since everyone else is reading it and retweeting it and reposting it, so that’s part of the problem,” said Waddell.

More often than not, news articles published by or reposted by users of social media are biased. When independent sources blog about their opinions on current news they do not need to follow guidelines or fact check themselves which ultimately leads to the spread of misinformation. Even large news corporations can have their own agenda that they are trying to push.

“I think that what makes something reliable is a variety of sources, so I don’t rely on just one. There is– believe it or not– some bias in publications. New York Times tends to be a very liberal newspaper, its counterpart would be like the Wall Street Journal, which is very conservative. So you want to try to create a balance that way,” said Waddell.

Unfortunately, many teenagers do not make an effort to create this variety in their sources. Gibson has noticed that most of her peers are prime examples of this.

“A lot of the time, it’s not from articles, just from what they’ve seen on social media and what other people are saying,” said Gibson.

Habits like relying on social media are hard to break, but changing the way people get their information is not impossible. In many cases, people are simply unaware that the articles they find on their feed are unreliable.

“It’s going to be tough. It’s a big issue right now because it’s so fast. I think the key is just to get kids back to ‘These are the big sources. This is where you want to look. This is how you want to focus in on it’. We need to teach what makes it a reliable source and go from there,” said Waddell.

Pem Research Center Survey- http://www.journalism.org/2016/05/26/news-use-across-social-media-platforms-2016/