Mountain Pointe High School's official news source.

Voice of the Pride

Dear Netflix

Anta Diallo, Staff Reporter

The birds and the bees is measuring up to be an easier conversation.

In 2014, “Dear White People” premiered.

In the same year at Arizona State University, the events in the pictures above happened.  [source]

So it became relevant.

Relevance was something Netflix’s promo failed to convey, as many people pointed out in the comment section. “Black Face” was addressed, which is important, but not timely.

Police brutality and our president (which have recently coincided when Black Lives Matter movements reigned the streets of major cities in response to his inauguration announcement) have been primary in the media.

At face value the video is entertaining; the stereotypical black woman with a terrible scowl, the perfect porcelain dolls of white sororities with blissful smiles.

It’s the reason why many students reactions were stunted by nervous laughter.

It’s deliberately coated with satirical and comedic layers.

Arguably “Black Face” has the same comedic elements, but in America, minstrel shows and vaudeville didn’t ridicule thin lips, and small hips.

To have a minstrel show that was spit out from an era of stringing bodies to church steeples is undoubtedly inappropriate.

Netflix managed to shock us, to anger us, to inspire us, and to make some of us feel belittled. It was a marketing success, but it’s platform has done a disservice. They address racism, but the wrong kind.

Institutionalized racism is the not-so-new-black.

Our president happens to have a long history of racism. Our police departments needs regulation.  Our legislative branches don’t represent America.

“You’re living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58 percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?”-Trump 2K16

We could even be euphemistic and call that statement a “generalization,” or “insensitive.”  To be educated and sophisticated, we would call it racism.

Our new cabinet is fueling the right conversations, because when the people making the rules are all inclusive, we will see progress.

Having over a 90% white Senate, a nearly 80% white House, and a remarkably “unconcerned” president means minority issues aren’t going to be addressed properly or promptly.

“Dear White People” had the majorities attention, and it had the chance to talk about something more relevant.