Mountain Pointe High School's official news source.

Voice of the Pride

A Sharp Transition

The tennis team is making strides to better themselves. They definitely improved this season, and look to keep the momentum going.

Evan Desai

Evan Desai

Evan Desai, Senior Executive Editor

In the 2015 season, the tennis team’s performance skyrocketed from the 2014 season.

They had not won any matches in the 2014 season, but played another thirteen match season and won three matches.  The situation was surely improving for the squad, and they were destined to compete even more the next year.  There was lots of youth on the team.

It went in the opposite direction in 2016.  The team lost twelve of their fourteen outings.

“Last year was kind of disappointing, after we started off strong but ended up coming up short at the end of the season” said Justin Williams, a senior who has played here since his freshman year.

The team told me before the season went underway that they were going to make it a point to be more serious and to change the culture this season.

It certainly worked out, as the team won eight of their fourteen matches this year.  Plenty of the success is due to Head Coach Larry Holmes, who has gained the respect of one of his older players.

“The team’s coaching is great.  I think Coach Holmes is a great coach.  He knows how to keep the team loose but he can also get us serious when we need to be.  He knows a lot about the game of tennis, and a lot more than we could ever hope to know,” said Justin Timmermann, a senior who has played for the tennis program here since his sophomore year.

All in all, the team made a dramatic improvement, and earned themselves a winning record.  They will look to improve next year, however they will be losing four seniors who will be graduating next week.